Thursday 7 December 2006

Humour

Inspired by QQ's post, thought I would share a few Brit anecdotes

I had a meeting with a business partner firm and they had sent their driver (and company car, ofcourse) to Gatwick airport to pick me up. During the ride, I was trying to make conversation with the driver and asked him "So, how many people work in this office?". It's probably funnier the way the answer was delivered but you have to imagine the driver saying this in a slow Brit accent "If people aaask me that question, I uuusually say about half of them" :)

In my previous company, they had a system of formally training all new hires in a bootcamp program and throwing a dinner party for all the bootcamp graduates. At the end of the dinner party, anybody could come to the stage and share their thoughts. Most of the speeches were serious crap about how they enjoyed the bootcamp program and how fun the company is and blah blah blah. One Brit guy walked over the stage and says
"Ladies and gentlemen, may I ask you all to rise please?"
About 100 of us, including Senior Directors and VPs stand up
"Can I ask all of you to raise your glasses please?"
All of us lifted our wine glasses in air
"To the queen"
and he walks off the stage as if oblivious of the crowd!

This was during a 2 week guided tour in an ancient country. The group comprised of 3 Aussies, 3 Desis, 2 Brits and 1 Kiwi. The first thing the tour guide asked was "Are you all from the same country?". One of the Brits goes "We were" !!

On a cruise in the Thames, the guide points in the general direction of Downing Street and said "That's where our Prime Minister lives..." and after a 2 second pause ".. George W Bush"!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I really liked the "half of them" and "We were from the same country". Personally, I would have loved to do the stunt that the Brit did during the training session and would have got a major kick out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ol' stiff upper lips still manage to get enough words out, eh m'boy?

    gr8 blog gogo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete